Friends of Norwich School
The Friends of Norwich School
The Friends community incorporates parents from the Lower School and the Senior School, current and past pupils and many people in the wider community who have an interest in Norwich School. This diversity is represented in the committee membership. All the fundraising from Friend's events and the 2nd hand uniform shop go towards providing the incredible array of clubs children have on offer across the school. The Friends also provide ongoing bursary funding.
Second Hand Uniform Shop
Michaelmas Term 2023 Opening Dates:
Wednesday 6 September
Wednesday 13 September
Tuesday 26 September
Tuesday 10 October
Wednesday 18 October
Tuesday 7 November
Wednesday 15 November
Tuesday 5 December (last sale of term)
Shop opens from 15:00 until 16:30 on each of these days.
Friends of Norwich School volunteers run a 50/50 Secondhand Shop. In addition to Schoolblazer Uniform and Sportswear, the shop accepts and sells a wide range of pre-used specialist footwear (Astro/rugby/hockey etc) and sports equipment/protection as donated.
The income generated by the sale of second-hand items not only supports a wide variety of projects for pupils within the school but is a very useful service for parents and pupils alike.
The Friends Shop is located in 71 The Close. There is no on-site parking for midweek sales, but parking is available on the school playground for Saturday openings - please adhere to any specific parking instructions that may be given by the Cathedral or School staff.
We are open on certain weekdays after school during term time and we also hold occasional Saturday morning sales. Please look out for our parent email sent at the beginning of term for more information regarding sale days and times. We will keep you updated via email too for any changes to planned sales or additional sales that we are able to run. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Items you would like to sell can be dropped off at the shop when open or 71A Reception during business hours. For T & C's on donating/sale of items, please refer to the information on Parent Portal, under the 'School Uniform' page.
Social activities at school are organised by a team made up of current parents and supported by the Friends Committee. Anna Stevenson is now heading up the Events team. The Friend's events committee meets once a month in the evening and the meeting is open to everyone. Please email email@example.com if you would like to attend or have ideas for an event.
The Friends of Norwich School are busy arranging a host of events for the entire school community, including our ON's. There is a summary of the events in the diary. "Friends" tables are available at every event so you don't need a to be part of a group to come along.
The team are always looking for ideas from the school community for events.
We hold a monthly Friends of Norwich School informal gathering for a coffee, pastry and a chat held different days of the week, locations and times of the day. These are open to all.
To find out more about upcoming events and to book visit our events page.
Friends funds – where does the money go?
The Friends support bursaries for children every year.
In 2022/23 the FONS pledged £15,000 to a host of clubs, societies and projects, and this year another £15,000 has been added to include:
- Music Department - Contribution to saxophones
- Senior School - Wellbeing Garden, kit for Eco Car, Ceramics Club, Bug Hotels and Bird Club
- Rowing - Speed / stroke coach
- Lower School - Warhammer, Beekeeping, Eco and Language clubs
- Drama - equipment for digital theatre and broadcast journalism
- Sport - Gymnastics at Lower School : safety mats and airtracks
- Senior School - Close Conversations Club podcast equipment and training, Close up: Photography Club, and Knitters and Stitchers Cub
- Lower School - Slide, Performing Arts dance mats and uniform, Running Club kit
- Senior School Dance - Acropad mat
- NS Fashion Show 2023
- Duke of Edinburgh - opportunity for Silver/Gold volunteering with Beekeeping Club
- Early morning running club – high visibility Norwich School branded vests
- Sailing - branded buoyancy aids
- Norwich Model Arctic – Support of the NORMAC conference
- Economics – Young Chamber of Commerce
- Partnerships - Inclusive games for partners, Conversation Cafe and Ukrainian teen group, contributions towards Argentinian soup kitchen through pupil projects
- Pre-Prep – outdoor play music project, electric cars
- Staff - contribution to staff yoga mats
Keep in touch
To find out about what the Friends have been up to, for upcoming or recent events, and how funds are being spent, please follow the Friends Facebook and Twitter pages or send an email:
Facebook: Search ‘Friends of Norwich School’
The Friends of Norwich School is a registered Charitable Incorporated Organisation (1170059) run by Trustees:
The Head: Steffan Griffiths
The Head of the Lower School: John Ingham
The Development Director: Jonathan Pearson
Three general elected Trustees: Madelé de Lange (Chair), Jonathan Hook (Treasurer), Janine Taylor (Company Secretary)
Friends Privacy Notice
The FONS Privacy Notice can be viewed here.