The Friends of Norwich School (“Friends”) is a registered Charitable Incorporated Organisation (1170059) run by Trustees. Our location is Norwich School, 69-71A The Close, Norwich NR1 4DD and Friends is the Data Controller for the purpose of the Data Protection Act 2018.
The Friends community incorporates parents from the Lower School and the Senior School, current and past pupils and many people in the wider community who have an interest in Norwich School. This diversity is represented in the committee membership and all the fundraising from Friends’ events and the Uniform Shop supports school activities and bursary funding. Norwich School supports the Friends with fundraising administration, Uniform Shop donations and data protection guidance.
This Privacy Notice explains in detail the types of personal information we collect about you when you interact with the Friends. It also explains how we will store and handle that information and keep it safe.
We reserve the right to update this Privacy Notice from time to time and, where any changes are made, an updated version will appear on the Friends website.
The types of information we collect
When you engage with us, for example, if you donate clothing to our Uniform Shop or become involved in our fundraising events/activities, then we may collect and process personal information about you. Depending on your activity, this personal information may include your:
- Banking details
- Email address
- Telephone or mobile number
- Postal address (collected before Nov 2020)
Bookings for Friends fundraising events/activities are managed by Norwich School and any personal information collected by Norwich School will be covered by their Privacy Notice which can be found on their website. Norwich School shares a list of names to the Friends organising team to enable them to run their event, for example, assigning tables or guest lists. When we use this information, we do so on a ‘legitimate interest’ basis which includes the efficient running of events. Your personal information will be used as you would reasonably expect us to.
Where data is used in the running of the Uniform Shop, this is also done on the basis of a “legitimate interest” which includes the efficient administration of the Uniform Shop. Your personal information will be used as you would reasonably expect us to.
How and why we collect your information
- By submitting personal information, you enable us to provide our fundraising events or the Uniform Shop service. We only collect from you the information needed to do this.
- If you contact us via email, then we may keep a record of that correspondence. We use email to respond to your queries, organise volunteer support and to collect bank details for the Uniform Shop reimbursement payments. Volunteers may also be contacted via Whatsapp.
- If you book to attend a fundraising event/activity via the Norwich School website, then they will email the Friends fundraising team with name lists which will be used on guest/attendee lists and for organising table plans. Previous plans are kept for reference purposes as this helps steer future events.
- If you donate clothing for us to resell then you will be asked to complete a clothing label. Completing this label creates the contract between us to process your personal information so that we can reimburse you. The clothing label is used to track your item whilst in the shop and remains with the item until it is sold. We retain the clothing label for accounting purposes.
- Labels before November 2020 requested your personal information (address and/or banking details) on the label but this has now changed. We may use this information to contact you to ask you for your banking details so that we may reimburse you.
- Friends only accepts responsibility for your personal information once your donated clothing is in the possession of the Uniform Shop. If you donate via Norwich School, then items should be labelled, securely bagged up and sealed. Pupils personal name labels should be removed from clothing before donating.
- If you purchase clothing items from the Uniform Shop, then payments are made via the iZettle system and data relevant to the transaction is shared with iZettle for that purpose. Only the payment amount is viewable to the shop volunteers to confirm payment to parents. Only the Treasurer has access to full iZettle payment details.
- We may ask you to complete surveys that we do for research purposes to enable us to improve our services, although you do not have to respond to them.
How information is retained and kept safe
We will treat your personal information with the utmost care and take all appropriate steps to protect it:
- Guest/attendee lists (names) which are passed from Norwich School to the Friends fundraising team are only used for the purpose of that event/activity and are then securely destroyed by shredding.
- Banking details, either removed from labels (if found on clothing items on labels previous to November 2020) or sent via email, are held on a secure spreadsheet, only accessible to certain Uniform Shop volunteers who update details, and/or are used for reimbursement processes. These volunteers are DBS checked by Norwich School.
- Electronic processing, such as spreadsheets/previous fundraising plans, are kept securely online (cloud based with accredited service providers) with password protection and restricted access. Email access is restricted with password protection.
- Withdrawn clothing labels are retained securely in a locked filing cabinet and then securely destroyed when no longer legally needed. Clothing labels for sold items are securely retained by the Treasurer for accounting purposes.
- We may in the future implement a stock control system which will use your personal information that is on the clothing label. This is to improve our stock control processes and help customer enquiries. This system will be held on a laptop and will not be used for any other purpose.
- The Uniform Shop is located within a secure building managed by Norwich School with restricted access. The Uniform Shop is further secured with a dedicated door locking system, accessed by Uniform Shop volunteers who have a key. Note for Health & Safety reasons this room may be accessed by Norwich School for the purposes of maintaining its property estate or for the delivery of donated clothing bags into the Uniform Shop premises.
- Pupil name labels should be removed before donating but if left on may be seen by other parents looking to buy your clothing item. The Uniform Shop will only remove/block out name labels if the item is withdrawn for any reason and is being donated to an external charity organisation.
We keep your personal information only for as long as necessary and for compliance purposes. For example, we are required by law to retain accounting information for 6 years after the tax year in which they were made. Where your information is no longer relevant or required, we will ensure it is disposed of in a secure manner.
Sharing your Information
Within the Friends only individuals who need to access the provided information will be able to access it.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties if we are under a duty to disclose or share your
Information accuracy and security
We will take appropriate steps to ensure the security of your personal information and where details are held electronically then they are done so securely.
All Friends volunteers should also be aware of and comply with this Privacy Notice.
Friends will endeavour to ensure that all personal information held in relation to an individual is as up to date and accurate as possible. Individuals must please contact us if any significant changes to important information,such as contact or financial details, need to be updated.
Individuals have various rights under Data Protection Law to understand what personal information is held about them by the Friends. If you wish to access or amend your personal information or have some other objection to how your personal information is used please put your request in writing via email to: email@example.com
It is your responsibility to ensure that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and up to date, please inform us of any changes or updates as they occur.
You are also able to withdraw your consent to us retaining your information (ie you have the right to request that it is deleted) but please note in certain circumstances we may need to retain the data for a reasonable period of time for legal or accounting purposes.
You do not have to provide us with your data but in the event that you do not do so, we may not be able to provide you with the service that you request.
How to contact us
If you have any questions about the information held about you by the Friends, wish to ensure that the information held is accurate and up to date, or wish to exercise one of your rights please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you remain unsatisfied or have concerns about how the Friends is handling your information in relation to the Data Protection Act, you should refer the matter to the Headmaster of Norwich School (email@example.com). Should you still remain unsatisfied you may complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) https://ico.org.uk/