Josh Pond (L4V) - player of tournament in Under 13 international
Jousting, herbal remedies, quills and more.
Girls' fundraising soars to nearly £2000
Lower School Trinity Term Weekly News (week 4)
392.92 Kb PDF
National Schools Regatta ends
Scouts: Lowestoft Sailing Course (Royal Norfolk & Suffolk Yacht Club, Lowestoft). Ends 16:00 on Friday 31 May.
L6 Fine Art field trip departs, returns Saturday 1 June
Term dates 12-13
Starts Wed 5 September, 2012
Half term: Thurs 25 Oct - Mon 5 Nov, 2012
Finishes Fri 14 Dec, 2012
Starts Tue 8 Jan, 2013
Half term: Sat 16 Feb - Sun 24 Feb, 2013
Finishes Fri 22 Mar, 2013
Starts Tue 16 Apr, 2013
Half term: Sat 25 May - Sun 2 Jun, 2013
Finishes Fri 5 July, 2013
FRIENDS CLOTHING SALES
Sales are held between 10am and 12 noon on the following days:
Saturday 25 May 2013
Saturday 6 July 2013
Saturday 31 August 2013
Independent Schools National Swimming Gala
Monday, 12 March 2012
Housemaster and Tutors
|U6||SA Kettley | Miss Ibbetson-Price|
|L6||Mrs CE Gilham / IR Passam|
|U5||Miss SA Burt|
|U4||Dr AP Hinsley|
|L4||Miss JM Gutierrez|
|Head of House||Thomas Dell|
|School Prefects in Parker||Natalie Woodward; Imogen Agnew; Beth Fellows; Alice Huntley.|
About Archbishop Parker
MATTHEW PARKER was the eldest son of William Parker, a citizen of Norwich, and was born in St Saviour’s parish, Norwich on 6th August 1504. Having studied at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, he graduated in 1525, was ordained deacon in April and priest in June 1527, and was elected fellow of Corpus in the following September. After Anne Boleyn’s recognition as Queen he was made her chaplain. In 1544 on Henry VIII’s recommendation he was elected master of Corpus Christi College, and in 1545 Vice-Chancellor of the university. He got into some trouble with the Chancellor, over a ribald play, ‘Pammachius’, performed by the students, deriding the old ecclesiastical system. During Kett’s rebellion, 1549, he was allowed to preach in the rebels’ camp on Mousehold Hill, Norwich, but without much effect; and later on he encouraged his chaplain, Alexander Neville, to write his history of the rising.
Parker was ordained Archbishop of Canterbury under Elizabeth I in 1559. Known for his non-confrontational manner, he was chosen by Elizabeth to oversee the Elizabethan Settlement that she had introduced as a compromise after the turbulent years of Queen Mary’s reign.
He founded the Parker library in Corpus Christi College for which he collected a great many ancient manuscripts, including the Anglo-Saxon chronicles. In the chaos following the dissolution of the monasteries between 1536 and 1539, the great collections of the Religious Houses had been broken up and scattered. He undertook to recover manuscripts and books many thought to be lost.
The theory that he was the original ‘Nosey Parker’ is unlikely. This term only seems to date back to Victorian times when nosey park-keepers (parkers) were accused of spying on amorous couples in London’s Hyde Park.
His great gift to Norwich School was a closed scholarship at Corpus Christi College Cambridge. Up until the mid-1980s Norwich School had the right to send two pupils to Corpus Christi College each year.
Parker House was one of the original three day-houses and many Old Norvicensians remember their affiliation to Parker House with great pride.
Andy Fisher, Housemaster